It’s not the biggest country, but New Zealand has developed thriving startup ecosystems while facing heightened versions of many of the same challenges we see in Canada, including a small domestic market, and an underdeveloped venture capital sector. Creative HQ in Wellington is one of the leading lights of the New Zealand startup ecosystem, and we talk to CEO Stefan Korn about what’s working well and what gaps still need to be addressed.
I take a look at two different reports on venture capital activity in Canada over the first quarter of 2017. You’d hardly know that they’re even talking about the same period: one says it was a great three months, the other says the year got off to a slow start. And I have an update on the NACO report on angel investing in Canada that we discussed in episode 6.
Press play to listen or subscribe with your favourite podcast app.
- Creative HQ
- Creative HQ on Twitter (@CreativeHQ)
- Lightning Lab
- Lightning Lab on Twitter (@LightningLab)
- New Zealand Startup Ecosystem Map (Mum’s Garage)
- VC & PE Canadian Market Overview // Q1 2017 (CVCA)
- 2017 Canada PE & VC Breakdown: Part I (PitchBook)
- “Sowerby on Aust innovation policy” (formerly: “Sowerby unloads: Gov’t is hopeless”)